Grown and distributed by EarthFresh, Carisma™ potatoes provide a healthy choice with an exceptional rich, melt in the mouth, creamy flavour. Canada’s first low glycemic response all-purpose potato is supported by Diabetes Canada.
This variety resulted from the potato breeding programs’ focus on lower reducing sugars and high dry matter. These are among the factors that influence Carisma’s nutritional content and GI* characteristics. The Diabetes Canada recommends consumers choose low-GI foods as part of healthy eating.
Carsima™ chronology :
- 1986 – Bred in The Netherlands by traditional breeding methods
- 1999 – Launched commercially in Europe
- 2009 – Debuted in Australia as a low GI* potato under brand name Carisma™
- 2010 – Registered by Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) for commercial production in Canada
* The term “Glycemic Index” (GI) was established in 1981 as a physiological way to determine and communicate foods’ potential impact on blood glucose. The GI rating system has a scale of 0 – 100 and a food’s GI is determined using ISO 26642:2010 testing protocols. High GI foods have a rating of 70 or more, moderate GI foods have a rating of 56-60, and low GI foods have a rating of 55 or less. GI is an internationally recognized measure; however, due to the fact that as foods’ glycemic characteristics are influenced by 1) their preparation method, 2) accompanying foods consumed during a meal, and 3) how individuals’ digestion of foods differs according to their genetics, Health Canada consider post-prandial response a more accurate means of communicating foods’ glycemic characteristics than GI. See “Why is Carisma™ Unique?” for more details.